Why should you hire me to set up your business?
In forming a proper structure for your business, I will do the necessary paperwork and help you understand everything you need to know about forming an LLC, S corporation, C corporation, partnership, Non-profit organization, or other structure. Also, I have an account with the California Secretary of State that allows me to check and reserve business names immediately over the phone, rather than waiting several days to do so by mail.
Be sure to see the rest of my Services, including important info on pricing and discounts.
Forming an LLC ($750+)
- For single-member LLC: Includes name availability check, filing articles of organization, simple operating agreement, EIN, initial statement of information, customized template for “books and records,” letter of instruction for maintenance/compliance, up to 2 hours of research/consultation time
- LLCs may file S corp election, which I can do for an extra $200
- government filing fees are additional $90+
- For multi-member LLC, additional $400+ depending on complexity
- For real-estate LLCs, including transfer, additional $600+
Forming a corporation ($975+)
- Also known as “incorporating.” Specific types of corporations include:
- Benefit corporation/social purpose corporation ($1075+)
- Professional corporation ($1200+) for licensed professionals such as physicians and other healthcare providers, accountants, architects, etc.
- Fees include name availability check, filing articles of incorporation, initial statement of information, simple bylaws*, EIN, initial meeting minutes, regular meeting minutes template, letter of instruction for maintenance/compliance, stock certificates, filing of limited offering exemption notice (if applicable), up to 3 hours research/consultation time
- S corp election additional $200 (if desired)
- government filing fees are additional $150+
- *for more complicated bylaws, fee to be determined
Forming a non-profit corporation (starts at $1500+)
Non-profit corporations are much more complicated to form and operate than regular for-profit businesses. Also, the amount of revenue you bring affects how complicated the formation will be, such as whether you can use IRS form 1023 or 1023EZ. My services include the articles of incorporation, initial statement of information, bylaws, EIN, initial meeting minutes, regular meeting minutes template, letter of instruction for maintenance/compliance, federal and state tax exemption application, registration with attorney general.
When forming a new entity, there are usually additional requirements, such as obtaining a business license, DBA, seller’s permit, etc. Some business owners prefer to handle these on their own, but if you prefer, I can file these for an additional $200 for each document.
Making an impact with your business
Are you interested in forming a social enterprise or social impact business? You may want to form a Benefit Corporation (and also become a certified B corp) or Social Purpose Corporation. Let’s discuss.
Note about Partnership Agreements: I generally encourage clients to form an entity rather than a partnership, because of the liability to the partners, but we can discuss further during a consultation.